This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Caramel Cheesecake Butter Bars, for the caramel and cheesecake, obsessed. This recipe uses the crust from Salted Caramel Butter Cookie Bars, half a batch as we don’t need a top crust. It’s a versatile buttery shortbread cookie dough that can be used in many recipes.
I had extra caramels from making Salted Caramel Butter Cookie Bars for Christmas, so I made my own caramel topping. You can use store-bought caramel topping, chocolate sauce, jam, pie filling, fresh fruit, or no topping at all.
Caramel Cheesecake Butter Bars
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 oz caramel candies, unwrapped (approx. 18)
- 2 Tbs cream, half & half or milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray the bottom and sides of a 13 x 9-inch pan with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugars. Mix on medium speed until creamy. Add 1 Tbs. Vanilla and combine. Add the sifted flour 1 cup at a time, and beat on low until soft dough forms.
- Press dough in the bottom and ½ inch up the sides of the pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sour cream, and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla; beat until smooth. Spread over crust in pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, the center with still be slightly jiggly. Cool on a rack at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Then refrigerate for at least 3 hours to overnight. Store covered in refrigerator.
- Place the unwrapped caramels and cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high stirring every 30 seconds until smooth. Add ¼ tsp vanilla. Stir to combine. Drizzle on cheesecake right before serving. Keep it in the microwave-safe dish so you can remelt it if needed. Or add a topping of your choice.