This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Acorn squash is in season right now, so it’s time to make some awesome savory Stuffed Acorn Squash. Acorn Squash stuffed with Sausage, Spinach, and Cream Cheese is a delicious fall favorite meal in our house.
When picking out acorn squash look for ones that are uniform in size, so they cook more evenly. I like to cut mine from stem to end because it’s a little flatter that way. You can also cut it in half across the middle, but if you do you will want to trim the bottom of the squash a little to make sure it sits evenly.
Brush the insides of the squash with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic pepper (or salt and pepper). Place squash, cut sides down, on the baking sheet.
Bake in the 400° oven for 30-40 minutes, until tender. You want it to be easy to mash, but it should still retain its shape so you can use the squash half as a bowl.
While the squash is roasting prepare the filling. Italian Sausage is a great filling for acorn squash. It complements the tender, slightly sweet squash so perfectly. If you prefer you can go with spicy Italian sausage or any other ground meat. Italian sausage is pre-seasoned, if you sub another ground meat you’ll want to add some extra seasoning.
In a large skillet saute the diced onion in the remaining olive oil, add the sausage and minced garlic. Cook until the sausage is browned and cooked through, add the spinach, cream cheese, and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Continue cooking until the spinach is warmed and the cheese is melted.
Once the squash is finished cooking, use a fork to gently mash the inside.
Divide the sausage mixture evenly among the squash halves. Top with remaining mozzarella and feta cheese. Return to the oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.
This sausage stuffed acorn squash dish is a complete meal and very filling.
Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 2 acorn squash (cut in half lengthwise, remove seeds)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (mild or spicy)
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped spinach Fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup feta cheese
- garlic pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°, line baking sheet with aluminum foil, parchment paper, a or Silpat mat (for easier clean up).
- With 1 Tbsp. of olive oil brush the insides of the squash. Sprinkle with garlic pepper (or salt and pepper). Place squash face down on the prepared baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until tender.
- While the squash is roasting. In a large frying pan over medium heat - heat the remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil and onion. Cook until onion begins to soften, add garlic and ground Italian sausage. Cook, stirring frequently until the sausage is cooked through.
- Add spinach, cream cheese and ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. Continue cooking, stirring until the spinach is warmed and the cheese is melted.
- Once squash is finished cooking, use a fork to gently mash the inside. Divide the sausage mixture evenly among the squash halves. Top each with the remaining mozzarella and the feta cheese.
- Place squash back in the oven for 4-8 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the filling is heated through.