This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
These Brown Sugar Pork Chops are a family favorite, everyone loves the sweet and savory sauce. This is an affordable, quick, and easy meal that is perfect for any night of the week.
I usually use thick bone-in pork chops for this recipe because they are being cooked at a high temperature for a short amount of time. The bone helps prevent the meat from overcooking, while the fat adds flavor and keeps the meat tender. For a juicy pork chop, you need to quickly sear it on the stove and then transfer it to the oven. Searing creates a crust that will seal in the juices and keep your chops tender while cooking. Finishing in the oven ensures the chop is cooked through without the risk of overcooking.
If you have an oven-safe skillet you can use it for this recipe, so you won’t have extra dishes to wash. Add olive oil to a large skillet and sear the pork chops for 5-6 minutes per side over medium/high heat. Remove the pork chops to a plate or an oven-safe baking dish.
In the same skillet with the pork removed, turn the burner to low and add the butter. Stir until melted, add the minced garlic, brown sugar, basil, and parsley. Cook stirring constantly until syrupy about a minute. Make sure the burner is on low or the sugar can crystalize and turn hard, I’ve made this several times and have had this happen once. Adding a little bit of water helped the brown sugar to dissolve again.
If using an oven-safe skillet return the pork chops to the skillet and spoon some of the syrup over the top of them. If using an oven-safe baking dish, pour the syrup mixture over the top of the pork chops. Place the pork chops in the preheated oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until an internal temperature of at least 145°. I always check pork with a meat thermometer just to be safe.
Brown Sugar Pork Chops
- 4 pork chops
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp dry basil leaves
- 1 tsp dry parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°. Season the pork chops on both sides with salt and pepper or seasoning of your choice, to taste.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet (oven safe if you have one) over medium-high heat.
- Add the pork chops to the skillet. Cook for 5-6 minutes per side or until browned.
- Remove the pork chops to a plate or to an oven-safe dish, if not using an oven-safe skillet.
- Turn the burner to low and add the butter to the skillet, stir until melted. Add the garlic, brown sugar, basil, and parsley to the pan. Stir constantly scraping up any brown bits from the fried pork chops. Cook for 1 minute until the butter and sugar turn syrupy.
- If using an oven-safe skillet return the pork chops to the skillet and spoon some of the sauce on top of them. If baking in an oven-safe dish pour the brown sugar sauce over the top of the pork chops. Place the pork chops in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the pork is cooked through. Spoon sauce over pork chops when serving.