This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
This is one of my go-to recipes that uses rhubarb. Even my youngest son that doesn’t like rhubarb likes this cake. This dessert can be made with fresh or frozen rhubarb. If using frozen rhubarb you will need to thaw and drain it prior to baking with it.
This cake is easier to turn upside down if you line the pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil before greasing or spraying with non-stick spray.
I used raspberry jello this time, but strawberry, cherry, and watermelon are also good. This recipe works well with regular or sugar-free jello. If you don’t want to use jello you can leave it out and increase the amount of sugar to 1 cup. Cover the rhubarb layer with mini marshmallows (approximately 3 cups), I have cut up and used large marshmallows on occasion when I was out of mini marshmallows.
Prepare a yellow or white cake mix according to the package directions. I used a french vanilla cake mix this time. If you don’t want to use a pre-boxed mix feel free to use your favorite homemade cake recipe. Pour the cake batter on top of the rhubarb and marshmallow layers.
This fills a 9″x 13″ pan pretty full, be careful when putting it in the oven. Or use a 9-1/2″x 13-1/2″ pan if you have one.
Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
- 5 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 (6 oz.) package of jello gelatin (strawberry, raspberry, cherry, or watermelon )
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 package white or yellow cake mix (full size) prepared to batter
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13"x 9" pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- Mix together the chopped rhubarb, dry gelatin, and sugar. Pour in the bottom of the prepared pan. Top with miniature marshmallows.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions; pour batter over the marshmallow layer.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-45 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes; if desired invert the cake onto a serving plate. Serve with whipped topping or ice cream if desired.