This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
This is one of my family’s favorite ways to eat cabbage, it makes a wonderful side dish for almost any meal. Roasting vegetables brings out some amazing flavors and the high temperature of the oven caramelizes the natural sugars in the vegetables. It is my go-to side dish for our St. Patrick’s Day meal to serve alongside Baked Corned Beef Brisket.
Cabbage is so good for you, it’s packed with nutrients and just full of Vitamin B6, C, and K. I love when cabbage is on sale in March. I purchase several heads so I can make Cabbage Steaks, Baked Cabbage and Bacon, and Cabbage Soup.
To create Cabbage Steaks, take a whole head of cabbage and cut it into thick slices otherwise known as “steaks”. I prefer them to be about 1/2 inch thick, you will need to adjust your cooking time if you make them thicker or thinner.
Bake until the outside edges become caramelized and the outer leaves start to get dark and crispy. The crispy edges are the best part. You can even broil it for a couple of minutes to get some darker pieces.
The cooking time can vary depending on how big the cabbage is and how thick it is cut. Smaller cabbages can take as little as 25 minutes while larger ones can be close to an hour. When the stem can be easily pierced with a fork and the cabbage is tender it is done. Serve immediately, while still hot from the oven.
Baked Cabbage Steak
- 1 large head cabbage (cut from top to bottom into ½" thick slices)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2-3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Brush one side of the cabbage steaks with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the oiled and salted side face down on a baking sheet. Repeat the oiling and seasoning process with the exposed side.
- Sprinkle each cabbage steak with minced garlic and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 40 - 55 minutes, or until cabbage is tender. Cooking time can vary depending on how thick the slices are. For a crispier top broil for 1-2 minutes if desired.