This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Cabbage is just one of those vegetables that gets a bad rap. Most people’s aversion to cabbage stems from childhood. Cabbage and Brussels sprouts contain sulphur compounds that are distasteful to some people. If you cook them with moisture, such as boiling them, that can make the sulphur taste more noticeable. If you cook them in fat, they will taste completely different. Especially bacon fat, mmm.
I prefer to cook bacon in the oven, so I made this entire dish in the oven (If you prefer you can make it in a frying pan). Start by lining a large sided baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Lay the bacon out on the pan side by side, it’s okay if they overlap a little as they will shrink quite a bit while cooking. I put the bacon in the oven at 400°, it doesn’t have to be preheated for the bacon but needs to be up to temperature before adding the cabbage. The bacon needs to cook for 5-10 minutes until some grease starts to form. You will need 1/4 cup bacon grease. If your bacon doesn’t produce enough grease add olive oil to make it 1/4 cup total. Core and chop the cabbage (1/2 to 1 inch chunks not sliced or shredded), chop the onion and mince the garlic and place in a large bowl.
Cut up the bacon (I use kitchen shears) and reserve 1/4 cup of the grease, discard any excess grease. Mix together the chopped cabbage, chopped onion, minced garlic, bacon and 1/4 cup bacon grease (or olive oil), oregano, marjoram, salt and pepper.
Transfer mixture back onto the baking sheet that you were using to cook the bacon on. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring once half way through.
When it comes out of the oven toss with the dressing and serve warm. You don’t want it to get cold and have the bacon grease solidify. This makes a yummy side dish or main course and it’s low carb.
Baked Cabbage and Bacon
- 1 package bacon (12-16 ounce package)
- 1 medium head cabbage cored and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 Tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°, line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Lay the bacon on the baking sheet in a single layer. Cook for 5-10 minutes until some grease has formed, you need about 1/4 cup. Chop up the bacon and drain off any excess grease.
- Mix together 1 head chopped cabbage, chopped onion, minced garlic, bacon and 1/4 cup bacon grease, oregano, marjoram, salt and pepper. Transfer back onto the pan that you were using to cook the bacon on.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring once half way through.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together. Drizzle over cabbage mixture, toss to coat. Serve warm.