This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
We all have busy days and being able to throw something in the crockpot and forget about it is such a convenience. This Pizza casserole is super easy, it cooks fast for a slow cooker meal and the kids will love it. Gluten-free and it’s also Keto if you use a low/no sugar sauce.
I browned the meat before adding it to the crock pot but you don’t have to. You can use raw burger, it needs to be really lean or it will add a lot of grease to the dish. Break it up really well and you will need to add an hour to the cooking time. I do not recommend using raw meat if you are using a programmable crockpot that will be set to start cooking at a later time.
In a skillet, brown 2 pounds of lean ground meat with 1/2 chopped onion and 1 tsp dried oregano (or Italian seasoning). Add garlic pepper seasoning (salt and pepper) to taste. Pour off any grease that has formed. Add 1 jar of spaghetti sauce (pizza sauce, marinara sauce, or 2 cans of diced tomatoes will also work). Spread the meat mixture in the bottom of a 5-6 quart crockpot (or a casserole crockpot). I always use Reynold’s Slow Cooker Liners for easy clean up, but you could spray the slow cooker with non-stick spray before adding the meat if you’d rather.
Cover the meat mixture with 2 cups of Mozzarella cheese, you could also use provolone or Italian cheese. I added a 3-ounce pack of pepperoni and black olives with more cheese sprinkled on top. You can add any of your favorite toppings, cover and cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours.
Sprinkle on some Parmesan cheese or red pepper flakes before serving if you like. Serve with fresh veggies, a salad, or garlic bread.
Slow Cooker Pizza Casserole
- Slow Cooker
- 2 lb ground beef
- ½ chopped onion
- 1 tsp oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic pepper seasoning (or salt and pepper)
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- 2½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- your favorite pizza topping
- Brown the ground beef with onion and seasonings. Drain off any grease that has formed. Mix in the spaghetti sauce.
- Spread the meat mixture in the bottom of a lined or sprayed 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- Layer 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese over the top of the meat mixture. Add your favorite toppings and the other 1/2 cup of mozzarella.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours.