This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Slow Cooker Pepper Steak, named for the combination of steak and bell peppers in a savory tomato based sauce. A wonderful comfort food, that doesn’t require a lot of time.
The recipe calls for sirloin steak, but you can use any cut of beef in this dish. The great thing about slow cooking is that almost any cut of beef will become tender. You don’t have to pre-cook the beef before adding it to the slow cooker, but pre-cooking caramelizes the surface of the meat. It lends a richer flavor to the finished dish.
I used a mixture of green, red and yellow bell peppers in mine, because that’s what I had on hand. You can use any color of bell pepper you like. I added the peppers at the same time as the rest of the ingredients, it resulted in pretty soft peppers. If you want a crispier pepper wait to add them until the last hour of cooking.
Fire roasted tomatoes add a sweet, smoky flavor. If you don’t have fire-roasted tomatoes on hand, regular canned tomatoes will work fine as a substitute.
The recipe calls for powdered beef bouillon, you can use a bouillon cube or substitute 1/2 cup of beef stock. In a small bowl, crush and mix bouillon cube or powder with hot water until dissolved. Then stir in the soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch. Stir or whisk until the cornstarch has dissolved. If you want to add a more Asian-flavor to this dish you can add 1/2 tsp powdered ginger or five spice powder to the recipe.
Serve over rice, cauliflower rice, mashed potatoes or egg noodles if desired.
Slow Cooker Pepper Steak
- 2 lbs sirloin steak, cut into strips
- garlic powder (to taste)
- ½ onion, sliced
- 2 large bell peppers, sliced (any color)
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp powdered beef bouillon ( or 1 cube)
- ½ cup hot water
- 1½ Tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Sprinkle garlic powder onto both sides of beef strips. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add the beef and cook until outside is browned, beef does not need to be fully cooked.
- Transfer to a slow cooker. Stir in onion, bell peppers, and fire roasted tomatoes.
- Mix bouillon powder/cube with hot water until dissolved. Add the soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch, stir or whisk until the cornstarch is dissolved. Pour over the meat and vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, or on Low for 5 to 7 hours.
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or egg noodles if desired.