This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
This is a dairy-free pudding made with Coconut milk and it’s surprisingly easy to make. Coconut Pudding can be served hot or cold and is great any time of year. It will definitely hit the spot when you’re looking for a quick and simple dessert.
For a stronger coconut flavor use coconut extract or coconut rum instead of vanilla extract. To make this recipe into a chocolate coconut pudding you can add 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder to be stirred in with the sugar and cornstarch.
Top with toasted coconut, optional. Here are four easy ways to toast coconut.
1. Spread coconut in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 5-10 minutes, stir occasionally and remove when browned.
2. Spread coconut in an even layer on a baking sheet and broil for 1-2 minutes, watch closely brown quickly.
3. Place coconut in a pan on the stovetop, and heat over medium-low heat for 3-6 minutes, stirring constantly for even browning.
4. Place coconut in a microwave-safe glass dish, and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes. Stirring every minute. The microwave method produces a softer less crispy finished product.
- 2 cans (13.5-14 oz) coconut milk
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (Coconut extract or Coconut rum)
- toasted coconut, whipped cream, sliced fruit, sprinkle of cinnamon or cardamom (optional toppings)
- Stir together sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk together.
- Cook over medium heat until the mixture starts to bubble. Reduce heat as needed to maintain a simmer. Whisking constantly cook for 4-7 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving or refrigerate covered in individual dishes to serve cold, thickens considerably when chilled.