This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Taco Soup is a perfect recipe for any night of the week. No pre-cooking of any ingredients makes this a simple dump-and-go recipe. Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Taco Soup is full of Tex-Mex flavor, it’s both filling and delicious. It is one of my favorite soup recipes to make on a cold, winter day.
Place the chicken in the slow cooker (I use a 6 quart for this recipe). Add all of the other ingredients except the cream cheese. If you aren’t a fan of cream cheese you can add a can of condensed cream of chicken soup instead. I use Homemade Taco Seasoning mix in this recipe but you can use store bought taco seasoning if you like.
When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot and shred it using two forks or a hand mixer. Return the chicken to the crockpot and stir in the cream cheese. Cook an additional 20-30 minutes until the chicken is re-heated and the cream cheese is fully melted.
Serve with your favorite toppings. Cheese, sour cream, salsa, avocado or guacamole, jalapeno or mild pepper rings, sliced black olives, chopped cilantro, tortilla strips or chips, etc.
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Taco Soup
- 6 -7 Quart Slow Cooker
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 can Mexican style diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 can corn, drained (or 2 cups frozen)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- ½ tsp cumin
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Add all of the other ingredients except the cream cheese.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours or on High for 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred or cut into bite size pieces. Add the chicken back in to the slow cooker.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until cream cheese is melted. Cook for an additional 20-30 minutes until the shredded chicken has reheated and the cream cheese is thoroughly melted.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, cheese, tortilla strips, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, etc.