This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Homemade Taco Seasoning is just as good or in my opinion even better than store bought seasoning mixes. Taco seasoning packets contain a lot of unnecessary sugar and starches. This homemade taco seasoning recipe is keto-friendly/low carb and sugar-free. It contains only spices so it’s much healthier than the packets.
This is an easy 5 minute recipe, that makes enough for 6 pounds of meat and can be stored in your cupboard until you need it.
I like making this large batch, so that I have some on hand whenever I want to make tacos. This recipe makes approximately 12 Tablespoons total, use 2 Tablespoons per pound of meat whether it’s ground beef, steak, chicken, or fish, the amount to use is the same.
When you are ready to make your taco meat, cook your meat until it’s no longer pink, stir in 2 Tablespoons of Homemade Taco Seasoning per pound of meat and mix in about 1/4 c water per pound as well. Let the taco meat simmer until the water has evaporated or been absorbed and the desired consistency has been reached.
Store your leftover taco seasoning in the same way as you would store dried herbs and spices. I like re-using empty spice jars, just label them as Taco Seasoning and keep them in your spice cabinet.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- ¾ tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika (use regular paprika if you don't have smoked)
- 2 tsp dried oregano (or dried cilantro)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients together, store in an air tight container.
- To use, add 2 Tablespoons seasoning per one pound of cooked ground meat along with ¼ cup water. Simmer 5 minutes or until the liquid is a absorbed.