This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Sweet gooey Pineapple Bars are rich, delicious and full of tropical flavor. Using a box of cake mix for the crust, makes this a quick and easy recipe. I have a few recipes on my site that use a boxed cake mix as an ingredient, doctored cake mixes can be unbelievably good.
Prepare a 13×9-inch baking dish by spraying with non-stick spray or lining with parchment paper. Stir together cake mix, softened butter and egg using a fork or pastry cutter. The dough may be a little crumbly, but it should press together to form a dough.
Spread mixture evenly into bottom of a prepared 13×9-inch baking dish. Press the dough in the bottom of the pan to form an even crust.
In a medium bowl, combine together the sweetened condensed milk, crushed pineapple, pineapple juice and lemon juice. Pour pineapple mixture over top of cake mix mixture.
Bake for 23 to 27 minutes. The bars may not seem quite done when you pull them from the oven. It’s fine, they should still be a little jiggly in the center when you remove them from the oven. They will continue to firm up and set as they cool. Cool completely before cutting into bars. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired. This is a great make ahead dessert as the bars can be stored covered in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- 1 box (15.25 oz) cake mix (pineapple, white or yellow)
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup crushed pineapple, drained
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup lemon juice (fresh or concentrated)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare a 13x9-inch baking dish by lining with parchment paper or spraying with non-stick spray.
- With a fork, stir together cake mix, butter and egg. Press mixture evenly in the bottom of a prepared 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Stir together sweetened condensed milk, pineapple, pineapple juice and lemon juice. Pour mixture over the top of the cake mix layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Center will still be jiggly. Cool completely before cutting. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired. Store covered in the refrigerator for up 5 days.