This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
You don’t have to be on a low carb diet to enjoy this Low Carb Slow Cooker Taco Casserole. I never last very long on the low carb diets( I love baking and carbs are just too yummy), but I do love some of the low carb recipes I’ve tried.
This recipe is quick and easy, just brown 2 pounds of lean ground beef add diced onion. Drain off any excess grease.
I prefer using Homemade Taco Seasoning mix in this recipe but you can certainly use store bought taco seasoning if you like. It is easy to make Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix and nice to have on hand for other recipes.
Add 4 Tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning mix or 2 packets of store bought mix to the browned hamburger. I don’t add the water listed on the back of the package, instead I add 2 cans of tomatoes with green chilis (undrained). Just simmer a few minutes until the liquid from the tomatoes has been absorbed. You don’t want a watery casserole so drain off any excess juices before transferring the meat to the slow cooker.
Line your slow cooker with a Slow Cooker Liner or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Layer half the meat mixture in the bottom, followed by half the cream cheese (sliced) and half the shredded cheese. Repeat the layers.
Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2 hours, until everything is hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted.
For a low carb meal you could serve the casserole on cauliflower rice or if you prefer cauliflower rice can be placed under the meat layer directly in the slow cooker before cooking. Enjoy the casserole by itself, on a bed of lettuce, on low carb tortillas or with your favorite low carb toppings.
If you’re not worried about carbs serve on regular rice, on tortillas, or with corn chips. And don’t forget all of your favorite toppings. Salsa, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, olives, cilantro, etc.
You can make this in the oven instead of a Crockpot. Just preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9×13 casserole dish with no stick spray. Bake for 20-30 minutes until heated through and the cheese begins to brown.
Low Carb Slow Cooker Taco Casserole
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- ½ cup diced onion
- 4 tbsp Homemade Taco Seasoning mix or 2 packets of store bought seasoning
- 2 cans tomatoes with green chilis
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Brown 2 pounds of lean ground beef, add diced onions and cook a few minutes more. Drain any excess grease off of the meat.
- Add 4 Tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning mix (see recipe link in Notes) or 2 packets of store bought seasoning. Add 2 cans of tomatoes with green chilis. Simmer until the liquid from the tomatoes has been absorbed.
- Use a slow cooker liner for easier cleanup or spray your slow cooker with non-stick spray. Layer 1/2 of the hamburger mixture in the bottom, slice the cream cheese and put half of it on top of the hamburger layer. Followed by 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2 hours, until it’s hot and bubbling.
Send Me Recipes!