This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Christmas is slowly creeping upon us. A handmade gift can be so much more thoughtful and personal. One of my favorite gifts to bring to holiday parties is homemade wine or handmade liquor.
Homemade Kahlua is a fun recipe, it is so quick and easy to make. Typically Kahlua is made with rum but you can make it with your choice of alcohol. If you use Brandy or Everclear let it age for about a month before serving. I made this batch with Crème brûlée vodka, which gave it a very nice flavor. It makes a wonderful sipping cocktail and it’s perfect for white Russians, mudslides, or even Kahlua fudge.
You do need to use real vanilla extract in this recipe, not imitation. Homemade vanilla can also be used. Sometimes I use half white sugar and half brown sugar for a richer flavor.
It makes a great homemade gift for friends and family. Add a ribbon and tag to your bottle to personalize your gift. You may drink this Kahlua immediately, but it will taste better if you let it sit in a cool dark area and let it age for about two to three weeks prior to drinking.
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup instant coffee granules
- 2 Tbs pure vanilla extract (not imitation)
- 4 cups vodka (or your choice of rum, white rum, brandy, or Everclear)
- In a saucepan combine the sugar and water, heat on medium, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in instant coffee, and allow to cool completely.
- When completely cool, stir in vanilla extract and vodka. Pour into clean bottles or jars. Close bottles tightly, and store in a cool dark place. Will keep 3-4 years if stored properly.