This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Cornbread Taco Bake is a simple meal that’s both quick and full of flavor, a perfect alternative for taco night. This recipe is great for busy days when you’re short on time, the prep work is minimal.
This recipe is perfect for using up leftovers. Leftover taco meat can be used in place of the prepared meat. Leftover chili or refried beans can be used in place of the canned beans. Some great additions may include a can of corn (drained), creamed corn, mixed vegetables, canned diced tomatoes, or Rotel tomatoes, bell peppers, green chilies, or even leftover mac and cheese. This recipe is flexible, you can add or omit things based on your preferences and what you have on hand.
Spray an 8″ square pan or a 9″ deep pie pan with non-stick spray. Prepare taco meat and add the tomato sauce and beans and any other add ins you might like. Spread the meat base in the prepared baking dish. Top with 3/4 cup shredded cheese of your choice.
Prepare the corn muffin mix according to the package directions. Pour the prepared mix over the cheese layer. I use Jiffy Cornbread Muffin mix, but any cornbread muffin mix can be used, even gluten free.
Bake for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven. Serve with sour cream, salsa, guacamole or your favorite toppings.
Cornbread Taco Bake
- 1½ lbs ground beef or turkey
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning (or 1 package store bought)
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 can pinto, black or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup shredded cheese
- 1 package cornbread muffin mix (prepare as directed on package)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray an 8" square pan with non-stick spray, set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook ground meat with onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain off any excess grease. Add the taco seasoning and tomato sauce and cook an additional 3-5 minutes. Add 1 can of pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed.
- Spread the meat mixture in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the meat mixture.
- Prepare the corn bread according to the package directions. Pour over the top of the cheese layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20- 25 minutes, until cornbread is a golden brown and a toothpick inserted into cornbread layer comes out clean.