This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Who needs a bakery when you can whip up these cinnamony breakfast treats at home? A fast and easy muffin recipe made with applesauce and cinnamon.
The trick to a nice fluffy muffin is to be sure not to overmix the batter. As with any muffin recipe, mix the batter just until combined and no visible streaks of flour remain, it’s ok if there are a few lumps though.
I used Homemade Applesauce to make these muffins. If you use unsweetened applesauce in this recipe then I would suggest adding another 1/4 cup of sugar to the batter.
This is a really basic recipe for Applesauce Muffins but it’s easy to jazz them up. For a little variety, you can add in raisins, dried apricots, dried cranberries or cherries, chopped apple chunks, chocolate chips, or nuts. Or you can add a streusel topping like the one used on my Banana Crumb Bread. Or dip the tops of the muffins into cinnamon sugar when they are still warm from the oven.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a muffin pan with silicone or paper muffin cups, or grease and flour the muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl whisk the melted butter, eggs, Applesauce, and sugars until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. The batter may be a bit lumpy.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin cups, filling approximately 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.