This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
I make these zucchini brownies every year when I have extra zucchini from my garden. I love baking with zucchini. You will never know there is a green veggie hiding inside these homemade brownies.
The zucchini adds the only moisture required for this recipe. Don’t squeeze or drain the zucchini, you want all of the moisture in there.
The consistency will seem quite dry while mixing. After adding the zucchini allow the batter to sit for a few minutes. After a couple minutes the zucchini will have released some liquid and you should be able to stir the mixture into a thick batter. The zucchini will moisten the batter and will continue to release moisture as the brownies bake.
You will notice that there are no eggs in this recipe. They are not needed! These brownies bake up wonderfully and do not need the added air that eggs add. Adding eggs will give the brownies a “cakier” texture. There is no butter in the batter, so if you skip the frosting these are also Vegan friendly brownies.
The finished product should have a texture somewhere between a soft chocolate cake and a brownie. For a “chewier” brownie try these Best Ever Brownies.
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 6 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini. If really dry allow to sit for a few minutes so the zucchini releases some moisture. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies spring back when gently touched.
- Make frosting while brownies cool. Melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and butter; set aside to cool.
- Blend together the powdered sugar, milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.