This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Low-carb and Keto-friendly, spinach-stuffed chicken breasts are sure to become a new family favorite. Baked spinach-stuffed chicken breasts may look complicated but are easier to make than they look.
Use a sharp knife or kitchen shears to butterfly the chicken. Butterflying means you cut the chicken breasts nearly in half horizontally, leaving about a half inch of flesh connecting the two sides. Try not to cut your chicken breast all the way through, but if you do you can use a toothpick to secure it back together.
The seasoning I used on these chicken breasts consisted of smoked paprika, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Your favorite chicken seasoning can be used instead if you prefer. Season the inside and outside of the chicken breasts.
The filling is a mixture of cream cheese, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, mayonnaise, garlic, and spinach. Fresh or frozen spinach can be used in this recipe, 1-1/2 cups of fresh spinach chopped or a 10-ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed. If you use frozen, make sure to squeeze out as much water as you can before adding it to your cream cheese mixture.
After you stuff your chicken full of spinach and cheese, you can seal the chicken breasts with a toothpick to prevent all the goodness from leaking out. Make sure to remove the toothpicks before serving. When I cook these on the BBQ, I wrap them in bacon to help keep them moist.
Bake uncovered in a preheated 375°F oven for 30-40 minutes. Cooking time will vary based on chicken breast size. When in doubt use a meat thermometer to make sure it reaches the poultry-safe cooked temperature of 165°F.
Chicken breasts can vary in size. The ones I used were quite large, even cut in half and served as half portions they were quite filling. Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days. They can easily be reheated in the oven, microwave, or in an air fryer.
Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 chicken breasts
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (or cheese of your choice)
- 1½ cups fresh spinach, chopped (or 10 oz. bag frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray, and set aside.
- Use a sharp knife or kitchen shears to (butterfly) cut the chicken breast horizontally almost in half. Set chicken aside.
- Mix all of the seasoning ingredients together. Sprinkle the seasoning over both the insides and outsides of the chicken breasts.
- In a medium bowl, combine softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, parmesan, mozzarella, garlic, and chopped spinach.
- Divide the spinach stuffing into four equal parts and spoon it into the chicken centers. Using toothpicks, secure the stuffing inside.
- Place the chicken breasts in a prepared baking dish. Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes, depending on how large your chicken breasts are. Use a meat thermometer to insure chicken is cooked through to 165°.