This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding Cookies, Italian Wedding Cookies, or Snowball Cookies. These cookies have many different names, but they are all made with similar recipes.
They are usually made with finely chopped almonds, pecans, or walnuts. I prefer almonds but made this batch with walnuts. You can even make these without nuts just add an extra 3/4 cup of flour.
This recipe makes about 40 cookies. Great any time of year or for adding to gift trays for Christmas.
Russian Tea Cakes
Also known as: Mexican Wedding Cookies, Italian Wedding Cookies or Snowball Cookies.
Servings: 20 servings
- Food Chopper
- Stand Mixer
- Cookie Sheet
- 1 cup butter (softened-not melted)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts (almonds, pecans or walnuts)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Powdered sugar to roll cookies in
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Mix butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and vanilla in mixing bowl. Add flour, nuts and salt. Mix just until the dough holds together.
- Shape dough into balls, approx. 1 inch round and place on ungreased cookie sheet, an inch apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until set, just the bottoms should be golden brown. Cool slightly on a wire rack.
- While the cookies are still warm roll them in powdered sugar. Finish cooling cookies on a wire rack and roll in powdered sugar again.
Serving: 2g | Calories: 149kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 111mg | Potassium: 38mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 284IU | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg