This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Keeping the kids entertained doesn’t have to cost a fortune. Here are some ideas to keep the kids entertained rather than just watching T.V. or playing video games.
- Have an art day: Draw a picture, finger paint, paint rocks, and color in a coloring book. Nick Jr. has a free online coloring page.
- Create a fort in your living room. Use blankets or cardboard boxes to create a fun play area.
- Have a reading marathon. Have your kids tell you about the book they read or act it out.
- Create stories together. Write and illustrate your own book.
- Have kids make cards or letters for friends and family that they don’t get to see often.
- Make paper airplanes and have a contest to see which one travels the farthest. Or make and play the free Planes racer game by Disney Paper Planes.
- Learn how to make Origami, there are lots of YouTube tutorials and free sights or buy a cheap origami book.
- Help the kids make their own play dough or slime. For hours of entertainment.
- Set up a card table and have a designated puzzle or board game area.
- Solve crossword or word search puzzles.
- Make cookies or cupcakes and let the kids decorate them.
- Make homemade popsicles.
- Make homemade mini pizzas on bagels or English muffins.
- You can learn and teach your kids how to sew, cross stitch, crochet, or knit for free. Watch how-to videos on YouTube.
- Decorate or tie-dye an old t-shirt. Or turn an old t-shirt into a tote bag.
- Learn to make sock puppets.
Some outdoor ideas:
- Go on a hike.
- Have a picnic.
- Go on a bike ride.
- Play catch, kickball, or soccer.
- Play hide and seek.
- Create and have a treasure hunt.
- Go Geocaching