This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Garlic Parmesan Chicken is a quick, easy and delicious recipe. This chicken can be paired with many different sides. It goes well with any fruits or vegetables, any variety of salad, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, or rice. For an Italian dish melt mozzarella or provolone on top of the chicken after it’s finished cooking, serve with marinara sauce and pasta.
Chicken can create a lot of juice while cooking, to keep the chicken breading nice and crispy I like to cook it on a rack. If you don’t have a rack for the pan you are using you can make your own with aluminum foil. Roll 4-5 pieces of foil into tight cylinders and place in the bottom of the baking dish, spray with non-stick cooking spray.
For best results pound or cut chicken breasts to a more uniform thickness before cooking them. You can pound the thicker end with a rolling pin or meat mallet until the chicken is all the same thickness. When each piece of chicken is a different thickness, they cook at an uneven rate. While waiting for the thickest part of the chicken to cook through, the thinner parts can dry out. Pounding also helps to tenderize the meat.
This is a baked chicken recipe but the chicken could also be cooked on the stove top in a frying pan, if you don’t want to turn the oven on. Melt butter or oil over medium high heat in a skillet, add chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until crispy.
Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 3 Tbsp olive oil or melted butter
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ⅔ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅔ cup Panko, crushed dry bread crumbs, or crushed dry stuffing mix
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- garlic pepper or salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray or lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch pan. A pan with a rack will keep the chicken breading from getting soggy.
- Pound chicken breasts to uniform thickness approx. 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- In a small flat dish, combine the olive oil or butter with the garlic. In a separate dish, mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and basil.
- Sprinkle each side of the chicken breast with garlic pepper or salt and pepper. Dip each chicken breast in the oil mixture, then in the bread crumb mixture. Arrange the coated chicken breasts in the prepared baking dish, and top with any remaining bread crumb mixture.
- Bake 30-35 minutes in preheated oven. Turn chicken over half way through cooking. Cook until chicken is no longer pink and the juices are clear or until an internal temperature of 165°.