This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
I just love being able to throw a bunch of ingredients in the crockpot and forget about it until dinner time. Slow Cooker Chicken and Chickpeas (Garbonzo Beans) was based on some items in my fridge that I needed to use. I had opened a can of chickpeas to use the aquafaba from it as an egg substitute and wanted to use them. I also had a lime that was getting past it’s prime and some black olives and onions leftover from taco night.
Chicken breast was my choice of meat, thighs would also work. Put the chicken in the bottom of the crockpot, mix the seasonings together and pour on top of the chicken. I would have preferred using fresh cilantro, but didn’t have any on hand so I used dried. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
I served the Chicken and Chickpeas on top of Yellow Rice. You could easily add more broth and serve it as a soup.
My family really enjoyed it, so I will be making it again. Next time I may add some chopped artichokes and use fresh cilantro.
When using the crockpot I always use Reynold’s Slow Cooker Liners they make clean up a breeze. It’s so nice when I don’t have to soak and scrub the crockpot after dinner. I did put a hole in the bag while shredding the chicken, but it was just liquid in the bottom of the pot that needed cleaned and no stuck on messes.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Chickpeas
- Slow Cooker
- 1½ pounds raw chicken breast (3 half breasts)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic pepper (or salt and pepper)
- ¼ tsp paprika
- dash cayenne pepper (more if you want spicy)
- 2 Tbsp dried cilantro (or 1/4 cup fresh cilantro)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup sliced olives (or 2.25 oz. can)
- 1 15.5 oz. can chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- juice from 1 lime (approx. 2 Tbs)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker, mix the spices together in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of the chicken. Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. Shred the the chicken before serving (optional). Serve on rice or add more broth and serve as a soup.