This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
An easy and crowd-pleasing appetizer. Fresh mushrooms stuffed with sausage and cream cheese are delicious. They make a great side dish, appetizer, snack, or even a light dinner when served with a nice side salad.
You can stuff them ahead of time and bake them when you’re ready. Store your prepped mushrooms loosely covered in the fridge, until ready to cook. You may need to add a few minutes extra to the baking time.
Brown cremini or white button mushrooms, with their natural cup shape, are perfect for stuffing. The stuffing should fill approximately 20-30 mushrooms depending on their size or about 2 pounds. To clean your mushrooms use a brush, or give the mushrooms a wipe with a damp cloth or a quick rinse with water to remove any dirt. You’ll then want to remove the stems by popping them out with your fingers. Place mushroom caps on a prepared baking sheet. Chop up the stems of the mushrooms and set them aside to add to the filling.
Brown sausage in a frying pan over medium/high heat. Push to the side, lower heat to medium/low, and add chopped mushroom stems, chopped onion, and minced garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes until vegetables become tender, and mix into the sausage.
Drain off any excess grease and add 8 oz. cream cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted and incorporated. Fill the mushroom caps with the sausage and cream cheese mixture. Bake uncovered in a 400° oven for 20 to 30 minutes until the mushrooms have softened and the topping is golden.
Sausage and Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- 2 lbs large mushrooms, (stems removed and finely chopped)
- 1 16 oz package sweet Italian sausage
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, extra for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°. Oil a shallow baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or oil.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop the stems finely. Arrange mushroom caps on the prepared baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium/high heat, cook sausage until no longer pink, breaking up into crumbles.
- Reduce heat to medium/low, push sausage to the side, and add the chopped mushroom stems, onion, and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes until vegetables become tender. Mix sausage and vegetables together. Drain off any excess grease. Add cream cheese and Parmesan cheese; cook and stir until melted.
- Fill the mushroom caps with the sausage mixture, and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Bake uncovered in the center of the oven for 20-30 minutes or until mushrooms are softened and the topping is golden brown. Broil for the last minute if you want a crispier topping.