This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure policy to learn more.
Hand washing is best but we don’t always have access to soap and water.
Here’s what you need to make Homemade Hand Sanitizer.
- 90% or Higher Isopropyl Alcohol.
- Aloe Vera Gel or Vegetable Glycerin
- Essential oil (optional)
Mix 2 parts alcohol with 1 part aloe vera gel in a small bowl. Add 2-10 drops of your favorite essential oil. Red thyme oil, cinnamon leaf oil, clove oil, and tea tree oil have been shown to have anti-viral and antibacterial properties.
- According to the CDC, hand sanitizer needs to contain at least 60% alcohol, which is why we use a 2 parts alcohol to 1-part aloe ratio.
Rubbing alcohol has been hard to find lately. Check stock before heading to the store, both my local Target and Walmart are showing in stock, but not available for pick-up or delivery. Some Farm and Home and Tractor Supply stores also sell rubbing alcohol.
Homemade Hand Sanitizer
- ⅔ cup 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol
- ⅓ cup aloe vera gel or vegetable glycerin
- 2-10 drops essential oil
- In a small bowl mix the alcohol, aloe vera, and essential oil until combined.
- Use a funnel to pour into an empty bottle. (A clean hand sanitizer or soap bottle will work) the amount of ingredients listed will make 1 cup.
The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) site has updated coronavirus (Covid-19) information and tips to fight the spread of germs.